Old 19-01-2009, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Newbuild garden in Bacup, Lancs.

"uklude" wrote

Thanks for the replys guys, I have done some research into some cornish
palm trees. If I knew how to add pics I could show you all the angles I
will check the soil aswell, also its abit boggy at the back so could do
with sorting out somehow, maybe a tree to soak up some water. Also
would like some aggregate to brighten it up.

It's not a massive garden its long and thin, as for the sun, it goes
from left to right throughout the day, at the moment it goes behind the
house around 1.30pm ish but the back of the garden gets sun all of the
day. Thanks again guys will try to sort out pics soon.

Cornish Palms or more correctly Cabbage Palms (Cordyline australis and not a
real palm) are Ok but do take many years to grow into their full tree shape.
The green ones look good when well grown and flowering but I can't say the
same about the reddy coloured ones IMO that simply look rather brown and
dead.
There are some real Palms that will grow in the UK, the most common one
being the Chusan Palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) but again it's a very slow
grower.
If the gardens a bit boggy at the back where it gets full sun use that as an
advantage and plant stuff that like boggy and sunny conditions, various Iris
species come to mind. (I leavigata, I siberica...)
That said, if the back gets sun all day then that is where you want to put
your main patio/sitting area and BBQ and you need to be careful about
placing trees lest you hide your patio from the sun as the trees grow.
A few fan trained fruit trees along the sunny back fence might be a good
idea, peaches should do well.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden