View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Old 19-01-2009, 07:14 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutMonster View Post
I moved into my new house July and we were looking forward to playing in the new garden. Unfortunately the previous owners had for whatever reasons buried bags containing grass cuttings in the garden, making the whole garden on about 6 different levels.

What I want to do now as it's too cold to be playing out side is to take up all the grass (which is in clumps anyway and needs removing), remove the bags and level the soil out. Then put down some grass seed and make some planting areas. Is it advisable to do this as I am a little concerned about turning it into a quagmire...

The garden is about 35 x 35 foot square...
April is about the earliest for sowing grass seed. Don't walk on the soil at the moment if it is frozen or very wet. In March, if the weather is warmer and drier, clear the old grass sods and the offending sacks, rake the ground as level as you can and LEAVE it for a few weeks to settle down. Rake again, trample down (i.e. walk all over it on your heels to compact the soil) and then try sowing seed in mid April. You say "playing out" - does this mean you have kids?? If so you'll have to keep them off until the seed has really got going. Have a look in your local library for a general gardening book which will give you more detail, and perhaps some photos.
It's a big job - good luck.