Old 20-01-2009, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Starting From A Fresh

On Jan 19, 6:54�am, PeanutMonster PeanutMonster.
wrote:
I moved into my new house July and we were looking forward to playing in
the new garden. �Unfortunately the previous owners had for whatever
reasons buried bags containing grass cuttings in the garden, making the
whole garden on about 6 different levels. �

What I want to do now as it's too cold to be playing out side is to
take up all the grass (which is in clumps anyway and needs removing),
remove the bags and level the soil out. �Then put down some grass seed
and make some planting areas. �Is it advisable to do this as I am a
little concerned about turning it into a quagmire...

The garden is about 35 x 35 foot square...

A 35' X 35' plot of lawn is a mere postage stamp... first thing you
need to do as soon as the ground becomes workable is to obtain a
rototiller. Bust it all up to 10" depth removing rocks and debris as
you go (now is the time to pick out those plastic bags). Then till
again working in plenty of organic matter, peat moss is good. Then
rake smooth, seed (decide what kind of grass), and roll... water
liberally every day. After like four weeks begin mowing... for that
size lawn I'd use a quality push reel mower. If you are looking to
use a lawn that size for play after like two weeks of romping about
you will no longer have a lawn.