Old 20-01-2009, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rich[_7_] Rich[_7_] is offline

Default Are cordless hedge trimmers any good?

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On Jan 18, 1:27 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Rich" wrote ... Are cordless electric hedgetrimmers recommended?

I'd like a cordless trimmer and wonder about an electric one as
opposed to
a petrol one.

Depends on the size of your hedge.

Yes. If it is more than about 10' long you can forget the battery
powered unit. It might last a season if you are lucky and you will be
forever sat around waiting for it to recharge. Do not underestimate
the weight of batteries needed to provide power for a useful period of
operation. All the battery ones I have ever had the misfortune to use
were rubbish.

If you have a very small hedge and need less than 20 minutes to cut it
then it might be worth a punt. I would prefer good quality manual
shears to a battery powered unit. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown

----

Hi. I have two privet hedges each bout 30 foot long and 5 foot high. I
cut one side of each and and the tops of both. That's like cutting an
area of 60 foot by 5 foot + 60 foot by 3 foot.

Seems then that cordless electric would not do the job properly in one
session.