Old 21-01-2009, 03:25 AM
kris anthem um kris anthem um is offline
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowles View Post
Let me start by admitting I know nothing! Approx. 2 years ago I got a chunk of root from an very old rose bush that belonged to my wife's Grandmother. The original rose bush was very large and dated back to before 1945. I managed to get the root to grow, two stalks came up. It did not bad the first year, even producing many blossoms, but now the plant is struggling. The plant is indoors (do to a very cold climate here). The original plant was growing in a semi desert area 500 miles south, and of course outdoors. On my plant, when the leaves come out they start to curl and then the area that started to curl dries out. As the leaves wilt I prune them off and there seems to be many more buds that are visible and ready grow. Unfortunately the new growth does the same thing. I have the plant under a grow light at least 14 hrs a day.
The plant has great sentimental value to my wife as neither her Grandmother or the original rose bush is around any longer. Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like, you know more about gardening than you think, growing a rose indoors is not easy, and you were succeeding until recently.I hope your rose is still alive, for they, like many other plants will still send out buds/leaves months after the plant has past its used by date, i hope this is not the case. Having an "old world" rose growing indoors is, to me anyway, amazing. There are far too many possible problems for me to list, i would suggest you post another message stating everything you do to the plant, with regards to its watering,feeding and location and perhaps the soil type.Good luck and god bless. ps a photo would really help others help you.