Old 20-01-2009, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Soft fruit cuttings help please

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

The smallholder site, states that you can take cuttings from raspberry,
redcurrant, blackcurrant and gooseberry and plant in a trench. Does
anyone
know when is the best time of year for south coast. TIA.
http://www.thesmallholder.co.uk/index.htm

I wouldn't think raspberries were either possible, or worth doing. I've
come across similar claims, but it's much better to take the underground
runners and plant those. Keep them moist and they never fail.

Otherwise, the others are just about foolproof.

Just take a cutting and poke it in somewhere - just try to stop it
rooting.

Some of them are alleged to take better from half-ripened green wood -
jostaberry/worcesterberry, but I've found that any cutting of currants,
gooseberries or allied species/varieties will take in moist soil.

Thanks Rusty, there's no shortage of material, as it's the allotment next
door. I assume early Spring, a few weeks after the parent plants are growing
strongly.

She's also offered loganberry, that has spread about 12 feet along wires.
Can't say I've tasted these before, so fingers crossed for a reasonable
summer.