Old 11-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Guy Bradley

Default What is "Spice Bush"?

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Spice bush is the wrong name. I think what you have may be flowering

currant.
Iris,

Dear Iris,

Thank you for your suggestion. After a little more digging, I found
that the plant is Ribes aureum, not sure of variety. I missed the fact
that the flowers have tubes. I recall when I first saw the plant that
I thought it was gooseberry, which my neighbor had for many years, but
gooseberries don't bloom in yellow and my plant had no thorns.
However, it is a deadringer for Ribes aureum, golden current.

As a side note, the plant is native to the American West, not found
east of the Rockies. How it ever got to West Virginia is a mystery to
me. Sixty or seventy years ago when the plant was first known to my
mother (who is 89 now), plants were offered around as much as they are
now.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6