Old 24-01-2009, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default fear of the unknown? rather OT

On 23/1/09 21:10, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jan 23, 6:58*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 23/1/09 17:31, in article
, "Judithin
France" wrote:

snip

There is not a
glimmer of a bulb coming through here, nor a snowdrop, by the the they
do appear, I am into growing my bedding plants for the summer.

That reminds me Sacha said last year that I possibly may be able to
order from wholesalers, plug plants, if I require them in sufficient
number, coooooeeeeeee, come in Sacha?

Judith

Is that snowdrops, Judith? *The best way is to plant them 'in the green', so
if you need loads, a wholesaler could be your best bet. * *We have them out
now in the garden and saw about 5' of the bottom of a hedge just covered in
them in the lanes today.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

No, plug bedding plants. The seeds in France leave something to be
desired, did I tell you I got some packets completely empty!!!

Judith

I'm not at all sure I recognise what you're talking about so I think I'm
confused. As to snowdrops, we get thousands delivered here from an estate
'down the road' and we bundle them up in wet newspaper and sell them for
around £3.00 a bundle and there will be dozens in there. If you want
snowdrops in the green you have to find someone doing that near you in
France or someone who will despatch them pdq once flowering is over.
Plug bedding plants - well, hmmmmmmmmm. Unless you're talking in hundreds
don't even think about it because you have to buy a lot and also you have to
have a greenhouse in which to bring them on to bedding out size. The worst
mistake is to buy plugs and think they can go straight into the ground. Our
plugs go into hanging baskets or into 7cm or 9cm pots or, if they grow on,
into 1l pots. They certainly don't go into the garden.