Old 24-01-2009, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default We will see if it can be fixed

Billy wrote in

t.au:

Surely, you believe in the ethical treatment of animals, and are
against "Confined Animal Feeding Operations"(CAFO), which are
nightmares to man and beast. All I am saying is that if we are
going to eat an animal, we don't have to torture it first. Meat
eating would go down if Sunday's dinner was the kids favorite
calf, or pig, or chicken. For the good of the planet and
ourselves, we need to eat less meat and more vegetables.
Fortunately, we are gardeners, so that shouldn't be a big
problem. Pasture finished steers are leaner (less cholesterol
forming saturated fats), antibiotic free, healthier, cleaner,
and much less polluting.

of course i do, Billy. you should already know that. i'm totally
against Vilsack *because* he promotes CAFOs (and is a former
Monsanto exec).
i don't believe meat eating would go down if Sunday dinner was the
kid's calf, pig or chicken because i don't know *any* 4H kids that
*don't* eat meat. they know when they start with their animal that
it is going to be dinner for someone, maybe themselves... unless
it's a wool sheep or a draft steer. i don't disagree that Americans
could eat less meat, but i think trying to force veganism on
omnivores is silly.
i dispise PETAs lies & twisted "truths" that seek to manipulate
emotions rather than actually inform. i dispise that they *kill*
perfectly healthy & placable pets rather than even *try* to find
homes for them, because it would cost too much money to keep them
alive & cared for. heavens forbid anything like animal care cut
into the 6 figure incomes of the PETA board members! and that it's
not just pets turned into PETA its self, but they go out & get
animals waiting in no-kill shelters and kill those as well, that is
pure evil.
however, i'm having way too much fun making fun of their current
"sea kitten" campaign. what foolishness!
lee