Old 24-01-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default My bulbs are coming up in Fife..help?

The message
from Mitulove contains these words:

Hello,

I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on google..I should
point out that I'm a fairly inexperienced gardener.

In the fall

What is this concept 'fall'?

I planted many bulbs, and thought I had done everything as
I should have. However, when I was having a look around the garden a
couple days ago, I noticed that many of them already have a couple
inches of green poking up out of the ground.

Yes, about right.

This includes daffodils,

Mine, too. I have anemones in flower, winter aconites and snowdrops
flowering too.

which I would have thought would have come up much later. I come from
a part of the world where even crocuses wait until late February to
make an appearance.

Well, I'd have said *THAT* was about right for a crocus, too. While I'm
a fair bit nearer the equator than you are in the Kingdom of Fife, East
Anglia is often just as cold.

Are my bulbs coming up too early?

No.

Should I have
buried them deeper?

That I can't answer. 2" - 3" deep would sound about right to me. Now if
you had bluebells (wild hyacinth, not the Scottish bluebell, which we
call harebells...) about to flower, I'd be moving up to Fife!

Are they doomed?

Eventually, but not in the short term.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

FWIW...