Old 24-01-2009, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bobharvey bobharvey is offline

Default My bulbs are coming up in Fife..help?

On 24 Jan, 15:22, Mitulove
wrote:
Are my bulbs coming up too early? *Should I have
buried them deeper? *Are they doomed?

Left to their own devices, plants generally do what they need to to
survive. OK, Palm trees in Iceland or sphagnum moss in the Sahara
might turn up their toes fairly sharpish. But in general they know
what they are doing.

About 3 years ago we had a cold wet miserable spring, and the bulbs
that had started to sprout just stood still till it warmed up, then
carried on to plan.

Expert gardeners can do things with shredded bark, mulches, even
fleece, to mitigate the worst of the climate and protect plants. But
none of these are likely to alter the day on which they begin to
sprout, just make sure they actually survive the winter.

Trust the bulbs. They know what they are about.

The telling thing will be whether they are more or less vigorous year
by year. That will tell you whether they are getting the right
nutrients, whether the soil is too wet for them, or whether they are
getting enough light at the right time of year. But that is a far
more subtle discussion.