Old 24-01-2009, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andrea Jones Andrea Jones is offline

Default Grafting apple trees

I want to propogate our apple tree as we're moving house. I've bought 5
rootstocks which are currently in a plastic bag in a cool outbuilding.
Could someone please tell me how I should go about this? Do I need to cut
the scions and keep them somewhere cool first or if I did the grafting in
the next couple of weeks would everything be suitably dormant? Should I put
the rootstocks in pots of compost now or should I keep them as they are to
keep them dormant until I do the grafting?

I've never done any grafting before and I need to get some grafting wax by
mail order so I won't be ready for a couple of days or so but if anyone
could clarify the process I'd be really grateful.

Andrea