Old 24-01-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default My bulbs are coming up in Fife..help?

On 24 Jan, 15:22, Mitulove
wrote:
Hello,
I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on google..I should
point out that I'm a fairly inexperienced gardener.
In the fall I planted many bulbs, and thought I had done everything as
I should have. *However, when I was having a look around the garden a
couple days ago, I noticed that many of them already have a couple
inches of green poking up out of the ground. *This includes daffodils,
which I would have thought would have come up much later. *I come from
a part of the world where even crocuses wait until late February to
make an appearance. *Are my bulbs coming up too early? *Should I have
buried them deeper? *Are they doomed?

Hiya Lanna, I'm in Manchester and we've got daffs, muscari, tulips,
hyacinths and even bluebells pointing their heads, ribes are budding
too. I don't think your bulbs are doomed - perhaps it is a sheltered
place where you've planted your bulbs, or you got a row of sunny days.
It's the warmth that wakes them. They'll go with the weather. I
wouldn't worry. I always have an early patch in my garden because
there's lots of fallen leaves that I leave there. Mulch keep them
warm.

You'll see if you got it wrong when spring has finally sprung. If you
get lots of leaves and no flowers or few, you'll know you got it wrong
with the depth. You can always start again with the same bulbs next
year. That's how you get experience )