Old 25-01-2009, 12:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default OFF TOPIC but since we are gettin older

Bill wrote:
Just in case you happen to know what a beta-blocker is and I hope you
never do.

Bill who believes gardeners never die they just compost )

BigVince posted this over in Sci.med.cardiology

From The Lancet' May 31' 2008

{"Background
Trials of ’ blockers in patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery have
reported conflicting results. This randomised controlled trial, done
in 190 hospitals in 23 countries, was designed to investigate the
effects of perioperative ’ blockers......

....Fewer patients in the metoprolol group than in the placebo group
had a myocardial infarction (176 [4Ø2%] vs 239 [5Ø7%] patients; 0Ø73,
0Ø60--0Ø89; p=0Ø0017). However, there were more deaths in the
metoprolol group than in the placebo group (129 [3Ø1%] vs 97 [2Ø3%]
patients; 1Ø33, 1Ø03--1Ø74; p=0Ø0317). More patients in the metoprolol
group than in the placebo group had a stroke (41 [1Ø0%] vs 19 [0Ø5%]
patients; 2Ø17, 1Ø26--3Ø'...." }

Reviewing these numbers .

For every 1000 people treated, if this study is accurate, 8
excessive deaths and 5 disabling stokes.

This has been considered the gold standard of care some have
estimated it may have caused over a million heart attacks and strokes

Interesting to know since I take it after getting stents for unstable
angina. I never had a blood pressure problem but now bp is slightly
below normal and heart rate seldom above 100. As a layman, maybe lower
pressure and flow of blood may cause clots leading to stroke. OTOH, I'm
also on Coumadin and take a baby aspirin to prevent clots and strokes
and would wonder if this was part of study.