Old 25-01-2009, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Persephone@NoSpam.com is offline

Default Planting garlic cloves

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:54:28 -0800, wrote:

Is it necessary to remove the husks from the separated
cloves? Or advisable?

Tx

Persephone

Thanks to all who weighed in on this.

Based on your input, I won't bother removing the husks and
will make sure I plant in the proper vertical orientation and have
saved some "base plate".

Curious about one poster who grows garlic near roses as
anti-aphid (exactly what I'm doing). You said you grow as
perennial -- so you just leave it underground?

Last year I harvested the bulb -- tiny, alas -- and ate the cloves.
If it's better to leave them in the ground for anti-aphid properties,
I'll do that, though there IS some "spiritual" benefit in
consuming food that one has grown.