Old 25-01-2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roy Bailey Roy Bailey is offline

Default Grafting apple trees

In article , Andrea
Jones writes
I want to propogate our apple tree as we're moving house. I've bought
5 rootstocks which are currently in a plastic bag in a cool
outbuilding. Could someone please tell me how I should go about this?
Do I need to cut the scions and keep them somewhere cool first or if I
did the grafting in the next couple of weeks would everything be
suitably dormant?

The latter should be OK.

Should I put the rootstocks in pots of compost now or should I keep
them as they are to keep them dormant until I do the grafting?

If they have some soil around the roots and are moist, then again they
should be fine.

I've never done any grafting before and I need to get some grafting wax
by mail order so I won't be ready for a couple of days or so but if
anyone could clarify the process I'd be really grateful.

Grafting is not something that can be easily explained in writing; you
need to see it demonstrated. I don't know where you are located, but if
you are within striking distance of me I would be happy to do the
grafting for you, as I shall be doing a couple of dozen of my own soon.
I have a supply of grafting wax.

Alternatively, Stephen Hayes has a very good website demonstrating the
process at http://www.fruitwise.net/grafting.html. In the last year he
has posted a couple of dozen demonstration videos on Youtube as well. If
you go to YouTube and search on Fruitwise or apple tree grafting and
pruning you will find them.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey