Old 25-01-2009, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andrea Jones Andrea Jones is offline

Default Grafting apple trees

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...

Since no-one else has answered, I would recommend planting the
rootstocks immediately, and waiting till autumn to graft or bud. While
your graftings or buddings might take, they run the risk of being weak,
since your rootstock will need six months at least to establish
themselves.

I've never done any grafting before and I need to get some grafting wax
by
mail order so I won't be ready for a couple of days or so but if anyone
could clarify the process I'd be really grateful.

Most garden centres and/or florists/hardware shops/etc will have that,
or just buy a little beeswax and melt it 50/50 with paraffin wax. Don't
put it on too hot...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Thanks for your replies. I'm too far away from Berkshire for a demo, I
think I'll just have a go anyway. Dad's posting me his big RHS book so I
can read up on it. In the end I decided to heel-in the rootstocks and
scions and I thought I'd try to do the grafting in a fortnight or so. I'll
have to see whether the grafts take as I can't wait a year for the
rootstocks to establish.

Andrea