Old 25-01-2009, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Growing Leeks

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
4thFrog wrote:

I'm growing leeks for the first time this year, but don't anything about
growing them, does anyone have any tips?

As opposed to the Clemson site, you might dig a 6" to 8" trench to plant
them in and fill in the trench over a period of time as they get larger.
Don't know if one way or the other is better, I just know that it works
for me.

Sort of like hilly them in as they grow. I have hilled in plants but
this just for temporary protection. Usually for new plants coming at a
poor time for me. In a way I am reminded of white asparagus and
protecting cauliflower too. Labor intensive but a labor of love.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA