Old 26-01-2009, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Growing Leeks

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

4thFrog wrote:
I'm growing leeks for the first time this year, but don't anything
about growing them, does anyone have any tips?

I keep it really simple. They stay in the one place and re-grow from the
pups each year. I manure and water them and eat them. That's it.

David

I have looked up the word pup on two different sites
www.garden.org/dictionary/
and
www.gardenguides.com/resources/dictionary/
as well as having googled it, and can find no mention of pups in a
gardening sense. I did find a reference to pups as being runners from
aloe vera but I'm not aware of runners from leeks.

Could you amplify on your statement.

Pups are offsets. :-) A term commonly used for Agave as well.

Leeks and other onion-type plants often produce small sets along side
the main bulb.

I'll keep an eye out ;O)
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars