Old 26-01-2009, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Digging - good or bad?

On 26/1/09 09:47, in article ], "Chris"
] wrote:

I heard on Gardeners Question time that one should dig as little as
possible.
They were against winter digging.
But I notice that farmers plough deep.
What are the considerations?

Digging in what circumstances? If making a new bed, or clearing out an old
one, I don't see how you can avoid it. And you have to turn the soil to get
a workable tilth for veg etc, surely But if talking about well-stocked
flower beds, we haven't a hope of digging ours for fear of what we'd destroy
that's currently hiding under the ground.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com