Old 26-01-2009, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel[_11_] Mel[_11_] is offline

Default Carrot fly

"Jim S" wrote
What's the current 'green' way of controlling carrot fly.
I used to use spring onion thinnings left around to mask the smell, but my
friend says that does not work for him.
I have suggested inter-cropping with onion and not sowing so close that
carrot thinning is unnecessary.
I have heard tales of low walls around (wood or fabric) as CF fly very
low.

Hi, Jim. I've tried the above methods with no success. Last year I bought a
cheap, plastic coldframe/greenhouse thing from Lidl, cost about £12-14 -
it's green plastic with a mesh "window" and is quite large. Not rigid
plastic. Worked a treat, so I've bought another one (from The Range) to use
on my parsnips.

I've also bought a sheet of that enviromesh stuff, but I'll probably use
that on brassicas.

Regards.