Old 26-01-2009, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roy Bailey Roy Bailey is offline

Default Grafting apple trees

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from "Andrea Jones" contains these words:

I want to propogate our apple tree as we're moving house. I've bought 5
rootstocks which are currently in a plastic bag in a cool outbuilding.
Could someone please tell me how I should go about this? Do I need to cut
the scions and keep them somewhere cool first or if I did the grafting in
the next couple of weeks would everything be suitably dormant? Should
I put
the rootstocks in pots of compost now or should I keep them as they are to
keep them dormant until I do the grafting?

Since no-one else has answered, I would recommend planting the
rootstocks immediately, and waiting till autumn to graft or bud. While
your graftings or buddings might take, they run the risk of being weak,
since your rootstock will need six months at least to establish
themselves.

No, no! Grafting is done in the early spring before the new season's
growth begins, using scions from last year's growth. Budding is done in
late summer.

There is no reason why the rootstocks should be weak. Normally one uses
one- or two-year-old rootstock so that they are not too much bigger in
diameter than the scion.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey