Old 26-01-2009, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing Leeks

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

4thFrog wrote:
I'm growing leeks for the first time this year, but don't anything
about growing them, does anyone have any tips?

I keep it really simple. They stay in the one place and re-grow
from the pups each year. I manure and water them and eat them.
That's it.

David

I have looked up the word pup on two different sites
www.garden.org/dictionary/
and
www.gardenguides.com/resources/dictionary/
as well as having googled it, and can find no mention of pups in a
gardening sense. I did find a reference to pups as being runners from
aloe vera but I'm not aware of runners from leeks.

Could you amplify on your statement.

The bulblets that grow from the base of the mature plant, sometimes called
sets. Mine also seed, just as the heads are dying the new ones appear
poking through the mulch.

David