Old 27-01-2009, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
robert robert is offline

Default Hedgehog predator?

In message
,
moghouse writes
On Jan 26, 2:53*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message

from moghouse contains these words:

This morning I found a hole dug in my lawn, about two inches deep and
obviously made by paws and claws. Next to the hole was the remains of
a hedgehog - prickles only the rest had gone (eaten?) Can anybody
suggest what the predator might have been?

Fox.

It looked like too clean a job for a fox to me. My cats usually keep
them away. What was the purpose of the scrape? Would that indicate
badger rather than fox or vice versa?

Definitely a badger - very difficult for a fox to open up a curled up
hedgehog but no problem for a badger. The scrape at this time of year
is more than likely an indication of digging for earthworms which make
up the majority of a badgers diet. The only sightings of foxes with a
hedgehog carcass that I am aware of is where there is also known badger
activity and the foxes have been after the left overs.

--
Robert