Old 27-01-2009, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Carrot fly

In message , Jim S
writes
What's the current 'green' way of controlling carrot fly.
I used to use spring onion thinnings left around to mask the smell, but my
friend says that does not work for him.
I have suggested inter-cropping with onion and not sowing so close that
carrot thinning is unnecessary.
I have heard tales of low walls around (wood or fabric) as CF fly very low.
Howver he has bee told to use 12" raised beds for the same reason.
This seems excessive and doesn't the wind carry the flies?

I chickened out and grew a late variety. Never saw any carrot fly
damage, but found out the hard way about using stone-free soil.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply