Old 28-01-2009, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
moghouse moghouse is offline

Default Carrot fly

On Jan 28, 1:34*pm, Chris ] wrote:
..
The problem with that is that I usually harvest just a few each day -
and I suppose the flies would get in during that time, wouldn't they?
(Also - what about weeding?)

The usual advice is if you pull a few carrots or thin the row to cover
up well afterwards as the smell is supposed to attract the fly - I
know my grandfather always did and he grew carrots like you would not
believe, but then in those days the substance used for soil
improvement would not be acceptable today! It was a long time ago but
he never had the benefit of fleece covers and the like but I cannot
remember ever seeing any pest damage on his vegetables - I have been
trying to grow potatoes, cabbages and carrots as clean as his ever
since!