Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Myrmecodia

Default Habenaria radiata

Mark Prout wrote in message ...
I have received six tubers of this terrestrial orchid native to Japan where
it is known as the Egret Orchid. It is also known taxonomically as pecteilis
radiata.

Do any of you have experience growing these?

Pecteilis radiata grows well for me in plastic pots with a mix of
peat, perlite, and silica sand. I bury the tuberoids about an inch
deep, top dress the pot with chopped pine needles, and keep it moist
at all times during the growing season. In early spring, they go
outside (North Carolina, USDA Zone 7) and remain outside until winter
temperature drop below 30F. Then, I allow the pot to dry until it is
barely moist and refrigerate the pots in ziplock bags for a couple of
months. I think I may have kept them too wet this winter and lost
quite a few. Some survived, though, and they multiply very fast

I fertilize occasionally with dilute orchid fertilizer during the
summer, and use water with low mineral content. During the summer,
the pot sits in a saucer with a few millimeters of water. Thrips will
destroy the buds, and squirrels will dig them up given half a chance.

Part sun should be fine. Mine get morning sun and are shaded by a big
sweet gum and some pines at noon.

I harvested some seed a couple of years ago and a friend flasked the
green capsule. Seed germinated well, and this spring I potted up the
first seedlings. A couple had made almost pea-sized tuberoids in the
flask.

Nick