Old 30-01-2009, 02:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Plants: - Sedum-web.jpg (1/2)

Basketweaver wrote:
Bill, I don't know why some ISPs are no longer carrying newsgroups.
I don't know that it has anything to do with the content or climate of a
particular
group. I frequent five NGs and our ISP dropped ALL NGs at the same
time which sent hubby looking for another way for us to visit them.
Pam (TOTP)

Pam,

Of course, you are right. Its not just a particular newsgroup that is
causing the problem. Many ISPs are dropping either all newsgroups or
just the binary newsgroups like this one because of cost. It takes a
lots resources (servers, bandwidth, administration) to store all the
newsgroups. More and more of the groups are filled with worthless spam
(but this group has been able to avoid a lot of it).

It is likely just a matter of time before usenet is dead (or, more
likely, very limited carriage) which, IMO, is a shame.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL