Old 30-01-2009, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default hardy cactus in zone 7 - follow up

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:11:04 -0500, Phisherman
wrote:

I'm in east TN and have a rather large cactus collection (about 100
specimens). I have a place that gets full (brutal) sun and would like
to plant a cactus that survives East Tennessee winters. I have an

Got this yesterday, locally outdoors. Currently in my truck bed, in a
garage near a row of windows. I think I might cut it into 3 parts,
each with a node. Although the mother plant is hardy, I need to keep
these from freezing until I can figure out what to do next.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31395753@N05/?saved=1

I'd appreciate anyone to identify this cactus cutting.

I rooted a pad cactus (different kind) last summer in a gravel-filled
clay pot, outdoors morning-to-noon full sun, with just enough water to
wet the clay saucer. Conditions must have been ideal; it grew roots
in a week.