Old 30-01-2009, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default bleached paper

Bill P writes

I put any paper including kitchen roll. I just rip it all up.
I always have a bin full of red worms chewing away.
I have three bins going. Never really thought about how long it take for
paper to rot down.

I put shredded paper from letters etc on the heap, along with cereal
packets and other cardboard from food processing, cardboard boxes with
the parcel tape removed, etc. Glossy magazine type paper seems to take
longer to rot down, so I take that to the council recycling place. The
rest of the stuff certainly rots within the timescale of the rest of the
heap - ie the partially rotted stuff has recognisable paper in it, the
fully rotted stuff does not.

When I'm emptying bins I notice that the partially rotted paper seems
particularly attractive to the worms - I can lift out handfuls of them,
like live spaghetti.
--
Kay