Old 31-01-2009, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default OT OT OT

On 30/1/09 21:46, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

On 30 Jan, 18:22, "Spider" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

Ray has just told me that this year exactly marks his 60th as a
Nurseryman.
So, as I feel a party coming on, what I'm wondering is whether anyone of
the
appropriate age can tell me roughly when the summer terms finished in the
1940s in England? *;-) *I think my own, in the 50s and 60s, ended in late
July.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

I can't help you out with the term times, Sacha, but please pass on my
congratulations to Ray. *That's what I call dedication!

Spider

Congratulations to Ray on 60 years in horticulture, how things have
changed inthat time.
School holidays will depend where he was in England as Parts of London
and Kent (and I would suspect other hop growing regions) the summer
holidays were later so as to allow families to spend September hop
picking, there was a mass migration from the East End of London to the
Kent hop fields.
otherwise I believe they were the same as in the 50's
I only started in horticulture 50 years ago
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Ah well, that's what I wondered, David. He was at school in rural Essex.
His family owned a nursery in Upshire so his childhood was spent there and
they didn't do the hop picking migration thing. But I did wonder if school
terms could have been affected by such things in rural areas.