Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Essjay001

Default Grape Hyacinths

Roberto, this is a helpful post take note

Hussein M. scribbled:

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:34:07 +0100, "Michael" wrote:

Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot
get rid of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy
clay. Systemic weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading
and growing lots of new bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can
destroy them.

I've never known such a hoopla caused by a such small plant!

Anyway, for what it's worth I reckon that the greatest friend to
grape hyacinths in their imperative to survive is the garden fork.

I keep a large fork only to move large perennials and shrubs.
However, if I had a vegetable area, my practice may well turn out to
be different there.

If you would like a patch (or sward) of grape hyacinths and also
keep them under control, simply don't dig around the edges of their
patch and if you move any other plants from their patch, check to make
sure you're not to taking a load of little bulblets with them. They
are really easy to "head" before their seed ripens and they can
propagate that way. It's quite a pleasant task really . Bye bye, bye
bye.

Having said that I do realise that, if they have become more out of
control than is desired in a large garden with heavy clayey soil, it
is a little harder to dislodge them from any areas you don't want
them. In light soils, gently loosening the soil with a hand fork and
a giving them a tug removes the plant with ease - the foliage and bulb
don't part company as I expect they might in a heavy soil.

However if you want to rid an area of them, now is the time to do it
- whatever type of soil they are growing in.

Hussein

May you live an interesting life.