Old 31-01-2009, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedgehog predator?

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message

from moghouse contains these words:

This morning I found a hole dug in my lawn, about two inches deep and
obviously made by paws and claws. Next to the hole was the remains of
a hedgehog - prickles only the rest had gone (eaten?) Can anybody
suggest what the predator might have been?

Fox.

No, badger.

Scrape? Obviously a rabbit. Wererabbit?

The scrape is probably where the badger was digging for earthworms.
Lawn-digger-uppering ;-) is the main complaint from householders about
surburban badgers IIRC.

Badgers are easily able to unroll live hedgehogs but a fox is only likely to
have eaten it if was dead already i.e. unfurled so to speak.