Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Privacy screen

On 1/2/09 14:47, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 30/1/09 16:11, in article
, "CamRAIN"
wrote:

Hi, we have an issue with a neighbour who borders our rear garden, he
has a complete view of our patio and conservatory and I wish to screen
the view. Can anyone recommend potted plants/trees that will provide
year round privacy, approx 8ft tall, reasonably priced and hardy as the
wind blows between the houses. Any help appreciated.

When I die "where do you live?" will be engraved on my heart. ;-) It does
make a difference to what people suggest. However, knowing the size of your
garden helps, too. 8' tall but what spread can you 'afford' in terms of
taking up space in your garden? Could you make a raised bed with suitable
drainage holes at the bottom, put in a screen and train e.g. Holboellia,
Clematis Armandii (depending on your location) or as someone has suggested,
Pyracantha up it? This might extend your choices as not everything can live
in a pot forever. If it has to be pots you could have a row of bay trees,
kept clipped to the shape you desire.

How did your two Holboellias react to the January cold Sacha? we had -9c
here and mine did not like it too much and have shed a lot of leaves,
first time I have seen any damage on them.

So far, so good, Charlie. We've only got one outside, opposite the big
double greenhouse, on a trellis. It's facing north but must get some
shelter from the greenhouse. That's H. latifolia, IIRC. Even the Rosa
banksia lutea on our south wall is still green but the Clematis rehederiana
entangled with that has lost its leaves, so I hope we don't lose it. The
temperature is now heading downwards like a stone, so it looks as if the
forecasts are right. My daughter lives in Chepstow and she says it's
snowing there but here we have a clearing sky over the hill, which bodes for
an even colder night. ;-(

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com