Old 11-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default Hostas

"Hussein M." wrote in message
Hostas usually like a bit of shade from the sun and certainly like
being kept damp. This may be to some extent species dependent. I
suspect that sunshine may be needed to accentuate the variegation
(patches of different colour in the leaf) of the voluptuous American
cultivars (which depend to a great extent on such variegation for
their interest), but my comments I think are true with regards

Hostas
in general.

If you moved the plant to a more shady area, next year maybe you
will be prompted to remark they did "stupendously well" last year.

Alternatively, as they are a plant which can be divided, when it
reaches the size when you can divide it, you could plant a division

in
a shady area and compare.

What do others think?

Hussein

Hussein,

Mine are all in large pots along the front of the house, which is
south-facing and get the sun all day. They do extremely well. I
prefer them in pots. They look wonderful and set the pots off
beautifully.

Regards
Iris McCanna