Old 01-02-2009, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default Pear Tree

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

I have recently acquired and installed a pear tree. I've not had fruit
trees before so I'm seeking any advice that will enhance my chances of
getting pears.

It is about 5 or 6 foot high and of similar width and grown more as a fan,
as previously near a fence. Do I put grease bands around the trunk and if
so when? When is it best to prune?

I prune out the unwanted annual growth in August from my pears. I have no
idea if thats coorect but it works for me!

I prune my pears pretty much as I do my apples.

Summer pruning on trained forms (fans, espalier, cordons etc)

and winter pruning on all trees for shape and to encourage growth etc were
necessary.

There is much material on the interweb, and there are demo videos on
youtube.