Old 01-02-2009, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default House Leeks

The message
from David in Normandy contains these words:

Are house leeks supposed to be hardy?

Yes.

Some people grow them on roofs so I'd expect them to be hard as old
boots? I've got some in pots with fierce drainage (more gravel and sand
than anything else) but the Winter frosts seem to have killed them off.
They are all completely black, limp and shrivelled and look like they
have departed the Earth, shuffled off the mortal coil and gone to live
on a roof in heaven.

Yes - I had some on my workshop roof - red East Angular pantiles - and
they were OK for years - until I had to retile an area. Though I put
them back, and they fitted the contours perfectly, heavy rains washed
them away.

But frost never bothered them.

I suspect too much wetness has got at yours.

Should I have brought them indoors for Winter?

No - just provide them with umbrellas next time.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig