Old 01-02-2009, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Longevity of buried hardware cloth?

ker_01 wrote:
Thanks to all who responded. I will definitely work toward a grub-free
lawn; the total property is over 2 acres and partly wooded, so I'll
just focus on the open areas, definitely using organic solutions.

The yard is very wet (per one of the responses indicating that will
rust the hardware cloth quickly); I think with proper placement I can
avoid the garden area itself being too wet. The biggest reasons I
wasn't looking at raised beds is (a) I want to avoid all treated
lumber, but haven't found anything that is affordable as a good
alternative that will last as long,

There are untreated timbers that will last 30-40 years in the ground. In
these parts such are used for fence posts etc and are not that expensive. I
don't kow what is available where you are but a good timber merchant could
tell you. This may not be an international system but here timber has
grades of durability - what you want is grade 4 IIRC.

David