Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Privacy screen

On 2/2/09 08:43, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
but the Clematis rehederiana
entangled with that has lost its leaves, so I hope we don't lose it.

Mine is always deciduous so hopefully yours will be ok, I have only lost
my plant once and that was the year I pruned it hard in January, I now
wait till late Feb but have no idea whether the original timing was the
cause of it dying (no wonder people end up doing daft good luck
routines!)
Given your edge of moor location it often surprises me how much colder we
are here, even the Phormiums have been badly damaged and its frozen in
solid again today, never going to get my wall finished at this rate!

This place is strange, I must admit. I suppose we get some protection from
the hills around us, so get less frost etc. than many others over the hill
towards Ashburton. That said, the east facing roof of one of the
greenhouses is still completely whited out. I don't know yet what it went
down to last night so will have to ask Ray - I'm staying indoors with the
lurgy and keeping warm! There was some frost on parts of the garden earlier
on but no snow here yet.
Our C. rehederiana always loses some leaves but rarely loses all of them.
However, as it is on a house wall and has some protection from other things,
I'm very hopeful for it. I'm not as confident about the climbing Dicentra
on the same wall, though...... That's growing below and through a
Chaenomeles, so I hope that's given it a bit of shelter.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com