Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Soft fruit cuttings help please

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from (Jim Jackson) contains these words:
Bertie Doe wrote:

Too long a Q at the gardening check-out, so couldn't enquire. The
varieties
FWIW : Malling General Leo, Malling Jewel, Glen Prosen and Glen Clova.

In my experience Leo is one of the best tasting commercial rasperries,
but
I've found it susceptible to disease. Malling Jewel is a good cropper,
but
fruit taste is a bit bland. I've not (knowingly) tasted the 2 glens
mentioned.

Glen Clova is a good flavoursome raspberry and freezes well. Usually
summer-fruiting, but can be fooled into autumn-fruiting by cutting them
down at the requisite time. (Allegedly)

Thanks guys, I bought the above yesterday. It's one of those stores 'once
it's gone, it's gone' ditto their seed pots, onion sets etc and at 60p per
cane, I couldn't afford to miss out. I've googled these varieties and they
are all floricanes, cropping on last seasons wood. So won't be expecting too
much this year. Will have to do some 'horse trading' with next door, her
gooseberries and raspberries for my rhubarb. She combined these 3 with some
ginger, for an awesome jam.

My next day off is Wednesday, but this frosty spell looks set, would it pay
me to delay planting?

My allotment is exposed and slopes steeply East/West. Googled advice
suggests growing South or West. I'm mulling over the idea of growing them up
the slope, rather than across, any thoughts?

Sources:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/docume...y2007Index.pdf
http://preview.tinyurl.com/bzg7pn

Bertie