Old 02-02-2009, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snowdrops in the green

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Jeff Layman" contains these words:

Has anyone here grown snowdrops successfully from dry bulbs? The books
say that you are doomed to failure if you try, but I just wondered if
anyone has
tried, and what happened.

Yes, no problems.

Came up and flowered the following year - all of them, AFAICT.

Don't believe everything you read in books - a lot of it is repeated
from what the 'author' has read in books, which is repeated from what
someone read in a red-top.

Indeed. That's why I asked the question! I think that I already knew the
answer. ;-)

There are far too many OWT (that's an acronym for a politically incorrect
ageist-sexist phrase!) in gardening. Maybe, as it's a gardening group, we
should call them "Old Chestnuts"...

I haven't tried growing snowdrops from dry bulbs, but I was given a clump of
"Sam Arnott" in the green several years ago which has done very well.

--
Jeff