Old 02-02-2009, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Soft fruit cuttings help please

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

My next day off is Wednesday, but this frosty spell looks set, would it
pay
me to delay planting?

I would delay. Just keep the roots moist, but not dripping.

Thanks, yes I think I'll wait. No snow yet, but the grounds very icy. My
boss who lives just north of you has 15cm and has just taken delivery of
some ex-battery hens - I bet their featherless and feeling the cold.

My allotment is exposed and slopes steeply East/West. Googled advice
suggests growing South or West. I'm mulling over the idea of growing
them up
the slope, rather than across, any thoughts?

Ideally, you'd plant the canes North-South, but it really doesn't matter
that much, as raspberries will tolerate quite a lot of shade.

For support can I use some of my surplus 9' bamboos horizonalwize - rather
than wires?

Remember to net summer-fruiting raspberries, or the blackbirds will have
the lot. For some reason, autumn-fruiting ones don't seem to register as
'food' to them.

I saw reference on the net to aphid pests. My brainwave was to put nuts out
to attract the birds. Problem is, they may be more partial raspberries and
peanuts.
I must have tempted providence - it's started to snow -