Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] pinksnack@gmail.com is offline

Default Grafting Quince onto Hawthorn ? will it be compatible

On Feb 2, 11:10*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message ,
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , chili-girl
writes

Now seedling pear must be a 'Pyrus communis' and Quince "Cydonia
Oblonga" was reclassified a few years back and used to be called
"Pyrus Cydonia" . So they are both in the same family related to
Rosaceae.

So I assume they are compatible, but I still seem to think there was a
problem.

Most botanists include them in Rosaceae. But the group known as
Maloideae or Pomoideae, or lately Pyrinae, seems to be a closely knit
group (there are a lot of intergeneric hybrids) and might well have wide
graft-compatibility. (Cacti are another group with wide graft
compatibility, as in all the achlorophyllous clones grafted onto
Cereus.)

Nope, sorry. *One of the disagreements between horticulturalists and
botanists was whether Malus and Pyrus should be one genus or two.
The former claimed two, because they are graft-incompatible.

I said wide, not universal.

I don't know where the Craetagus/Pyracantha/etc. group fits in; it
might be closer to Pyrus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sorry I don't know about quince. But there is a long and successful
tradition in Roscommon of using Rowan as a rootstock for apple. Long-
established rowans were selected from "down in the wet", dug out and
the trunks cut. Then the "rootstocks" were transported to their new
location on the farm to receive the grafts.

I don't believe the ubiquitous hawthorn was overlooked as a rootstock
due to superstition - rather that the rowan was much better.