Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grafting Quince onto Hawthorn ? will it be compatible

In article ,
wrote:

Sorry I don't know about quince. But there is a long and successful
tradition in Roscommon of using Rowan as a rootstock for apple. Long-
established rowans were selected from "down in the wet", dug out and
the trunks cut. Then the "rootstocks" were transported to their new
location on the farm to receive the grafts.

I don't believe the ubiquitous hawthorn was overlooked as a rootstock
due to superstition - rather that the rowan was much better.

That would imply that Sorbus and Malus are fairly close; I know that
Pyrus, Cydonia and Chaenomeles are, and that Craetagus, Pyracantha
and Mespilus are. I don't know where Cotoneaster, Amelanchier etc.
fit in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.