Old 03-02-2009, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default Snowdrops in the green

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I also have, about 75% success. However I have since planted in the
green, sadly though there are less this year than last. Very saddened.

I recommend squirrel casserole.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

My (grey) squirrels don't eat my snowdrop bulbs, even though (due to a hilly
site and soil translocation) the bulbs often become exposed on the surface.
I'd always assumed they were safe from squirrels. Could mice, or some other
rodent, be scoffing them?

I find that my snowdrops multiply very well. However, I suffer from that
frequent gardener's complaint: generosity :~). I have given so many away to
sad would-be galanthophiles who have failed with dry bulbs, that I now have
a few bare patches. I'm not complaining, though; my first batch of reliable
in-the-green bulbs came from a generous neighbour. It's lovely to be able
to carry on that tradition, a la Sacha.

I think it was Jeff Layman who started the subthread about dry bulbs. I'm
wondering if the failures were due to *really* dry supermarket bulbs, and
the successes due to bulbs from colder storage in good nurseries and gcs.

Got to dash now - just been invited out for tea :~)). I'll look in again
later.

Spider