Old 03-02-2009, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Japanese bettles

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 09:49:46 -0600, "Dave" wrote:

Have any of you out there got a sure fire way of getting rid of or
controlling these pests? For 2 years in a row now they have infested my
plum, cherry,and apple trees. Also my 3 grape vines. They appear to start
coming around Mothers day. I've tried malathion which temporarily helped,
and a mixture of sevin concentrate mixed with dawn dish soap and water. It
controlled them for a day, but the next day they were at it again. The
ground would be covered with dead ones, but the next day there would be new
ones that arrived. I was so fed up that I was considering cutting the trees
down. I'm afraid to eat any fruit if there is any because of all the
chemicals. I live in Springfield, Illinois. I've never seen any beetles
until 1907. I would appreciate any help or suggestion any of you out there
may have.
Thanks for your help.

You've a long memory...

There are attractants/lures with bag systems, but they work best
placed at the perimeters of large properties. And your neighbors may
hate you.

Boron

Sound advice. Nothing wrong with hand picking.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA