Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dave Dave is offline

Default Japanese beetles

"enigma" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in
:

Have any of you out there got a sure fire way of getting rid of
or controlling these pests?

milky spore or bT to kill the grubs. it takes a couple years to see
the effects, but it will last for over 10 years.
pheremone lures work, but they need to be really far away from the
trees/vines to be effective. if you can't put them several hundred
feet away, then you'll only end up attracting more beetles *to* your
plants.
hand pick the beetles & drop into a bucket of soapy water. if you
know a kid, this is a great job for them. offer a penny per dead
beetle.
lee

Lee, that would be an impossible task hand picking those battles. My trees
and everyone else's are just covered with beetles. It would take forever
just to pick one tree. Even if it were possible and I took the time they'd
be back tomorrow and completely covered with them again. You have to see it
to believe it.