Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Japanese beetles

"Dave" wrote in
:

Lee, that would be an impossible task hand picking those
battles. My trees and everyone else's are just covered with
beetles. It would take forever just to pick one tree. Even if it
were possible and I took the time they'd be back tomorrow and
completely covered with them again. You have to see it to
believe it.

no, i believe it. they go after my hops like crazy as well.
i know getting all of them is impossible, which is why i gave you
several things you should try, but for every beetle you handpick &
kill, there are hundreds more that won't be hatched.
you already said that poisoning your fruit hasn't helped, so i
gave you organic methods that *will* work, just not immediately.
the first thing is to kill the grubs, which is why you need the
application of milky spore or BT to your yard (& your neighbor's
yards if you can get them to cooperate). if your neighbors aren't
willing to cooperate, put the pheremone trap bags on your
property's perimeter as far from your trees & grapes as possible.
lead the beetles to the neighbors.
and pick & destroy as many adult beetles as you can, to prevent
them from reproducing.
it will take a couple years to see a reduction, but it will
happen.
lee