Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] madgardener1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Japanese beetles

On Feb 3, 12:30*pm, "Dave" wrote:
"enigma" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in
:

Have any of you out there got a sure fire way of getting rid of
or controlling these pests?

milky spore or bT to kill the grubs. it takes a couple years to see
the effects, but it will last for over 10 years.
pheremone lures work, but they need to be really far away from the
trees/vines to be effective. if you can't put them several hundred
feet away, then you'll only end up attracting more beetles *to* your
plants.
hand pick the beetles & drop into a bucket of soapy water. if you
know a kid, this is a great job for them. offer a penny per dead
beetle.
lee

Lee, *that would be an impossible task hand picking those battles. My trees
and everyone else's are just covered with beetles. It would take forever
just to pick one tree. Even if it were possible and I took the time they'd
be back tomorrow and completely covered with them again. You have to see it
to believe it.- Hide quoted text -

I agree about the milky spore. The largest problem is your yard/land
has a huge amount of japanese beetle grubs. You need to call your
extension agent and get his/her butt out there to determine what is
drawing them in such hordes. The milky spore is awesome. And as the
grubs ingest and die of it, they break down and it puts more into
their environment. Hand picking isn't an option here when you have
fruiting trees. Easier when things are lower and not such a physical
challange. You COULD use some Japanese beetle bags at the perimeter
coupled with the milky spore to double wham them. I'd see more about
using something less harmful that knocks them on their asses. Anyone
know the effects of spraying them with pyrethrum solution (just the
Japs not anything else as it WILL kill anything else, including
beneficials) maybe you could plant a draw crop for them. I DO know
that if you sow 4 o'clocks underneath or nearby, it draws the Japs,
but as they munch a few leaves, it too, kills them...........seen it
work.....I've also seen a horrific infestation of fruiting trees at a
house I had considered buying years ago that was one of the reasons I
changed my mind about the house at the time. The trees and fruit were
literally swarming with them! Once you use the milky spore, and some
back up, you'll eventually see a decrease in their populations. (you
could also hang the bags to draw them away from your yard and trees,
because it uses a phermone from females to draw them)
hope my agreeances helps. keep us posted.
madgardener (maddie) gardening a bit in the green bowl in upper
northeastern Tennessee, zone 7a feeling like zone 6a at the moment
with these wintery temperatures and snows and ice!