Old 04-02-2009, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Japanese beetles

On Feb 3, 12:30�pm, "Dave" wrote:
"enigma" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in
:

Have any of you out there got a sure fire way of getting rid of
or controlling these pests?

milky spore or bT to kill the grubs. it takes a couple years to see
the effects, but it will last for over 10 years.
pheremone lures work, but they need to be really far away from the
trees/vines to be effective. if you can't put them several hundred
feet away, then you'll only end up attracting more beetles *to* your
plants.
hand pick the beetles & drop into a bucket of soapy water. if you
know a kid, this is a great job for them. offer a penny per dead
beetle.
lee

Lee, �that would be an impossible task hand picking those battles.. My trees
and everyone else's are just covered with beetles. It would take forever
just to pick one tree. Even if it were possible and I took the time they'd
be back tomorrow and completely covered with them again. You have to see it
to believe it.

Sevin is very effective, just don't be tempted to mix it in stronger
concentrations, if anything lean towards the weak side. The trick is
to spray lightly every day over 5-7 days, even if you see no beetles,
it takes time for Sevin to work. Spray during the warmest part of the
day and if it's raining then there is no point in spraying until it's
dry. And use a quality sprayer that will easily reach to the tops of
your trees without your standing directly underneath. Be mindful of
wind direction, keep all others clear, and you should have no problems
with over spray. Hand picking and attractant traps are a waste of
time, effort, and money... mostly you'll be attracting and picking
beetles from your neighbor's property. Anyone who employs a few brain
cells will quickly realize how idiotic it is to do anything that will
attract even more beetles. I bought some of those silly traps, once I
read the instructions and realized that they need to be set on a
perimeter a distance from my trees that I want to protect I burst out
in hillarious laughter for getting sucked in to spend my money to
protect my neighbor's plants... I returned them and got my money back.